Digital Citizenship Agreement . . .
This agreement has six conditions or facets of being a Digital Citizen. Aspects of this agreement link back to the St John’s College Values and Habits.
- The S of SJC stands for Show Respect. Respect yourself, respect others and respect the hardware you have access to.
- The J of SJC stands for Jesus as our role model. As a Saint John’s man we should look to treat others and their property with respect. We should look to protect others from harm and we should always act and behave in an ethical and moral manner. Say yes to doing the right thing.
- The C of SJC stands for Commitment to growing in Word and in Deed. We need to show we are digital citizens through our actions. This will enable us to have trust in each other and will give us the confidence to learn new ways of doing things.
- Respect Yourself. I will show respect for myself through my actions. I will select online names that are appropriate, I will consider the information and images that I post online. I will consider what personal information about my life, experiences, experimentation or relationships I post. I will not be obscene.
- Protect Yourself. I will ensure that the information, images and materials I post online will not put me at risk. I will not publish my personal details, contact details or a schedule of my activities. I will report any attacks or inappropriate behavior directed at me and I will seek support from appropriate people or organisations. I will protect passwords, accounts and resources.
- Respect Others. I will show respect to others. I will not use electronic mediums to flame, bully, harass or stalk other people. I will show respect for other people in my choice of websites, I will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate. I will not abuse my rights of access and I will not enter other people's private spaces or areas.
- Protect Others. I will protect others by reporting abuse, not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications; and not visiting sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate. I will moderate unacceptable materials and conversations, reporting conversations that are inappropriate or unacceptable.
- Respect Intellectual property and hardware. I will request permission to use resources. I will suitably cite any and all use of websites, books, media etc. I will acknowledge all primary and secondary sources. I will validate information. I will use and abide by the fair use rules. I will not intentionally damage any computing device or associated hardware.
- Protect Intellectual property and hardware. I will request to use the software and media others produce. I will use free and open source alternatives rather than pirating software. I will purchase, license and register all software. I will purchase my music and media, and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses. I will report vandalism and damage of hardware. I will act with integrity